Portugal | Explore the Center of Portugal
Visit three fabulous locations in Portugal with this amazing deal to Coimbra, Aveiro, and Lisbon!
Why we love this deal:
- This travel package takes the stress out of having to plan everything yourself. All you have to do is pack your bags and bring your adventurous spirit;
- Breakfast may be included during your stay, depending on the accommodation selected;
- Enjoy a typical fado show in one of Lisbon's Fado Houses in the famous Alfama district, accompanied by an elegant glass of Portugal's outstanding wine;
- Enjoy strolling on Lisbon's black and white mosaic cobblestone sidewalks, large boulevards and quaint alleyways and head to the Elevador de Santa Justa, Cristo Rei and the Moorish São Jorge Castle for some of the most amazing views of Lisbon;
- Head to Coimbra, home to Portugal's oldest university (est. 1290), and discover the historical landmarks and heritage left by those who built the nation, including the magnificent Joanine Library and the convent of Santa Cruz;
- Be transported to another time and place when you visit Aveiro, dubbed "The Venice of Portugal", where you can take a leisurely boat ride along the river in a "moliceiro", dine on fresh seafood and visit the natural salt spa Spa Cale do Oiro;
- You can customize your travel itinerary according to your preferences. Options include: adding additional nights to your stay, car rental, or some other experience to make your itinerary even more unique and special;
- You won't have to worry about anything, as we have taken care of everything for you.
- Itinerary is also available by train! Please reach out to our Customer Support team for further information.
About the Destination
Lisbon, the cosmopolitan capital of Portugal and Europe's second-oldest capital (after Athens), has now become the new "it" destination for tourists visiting Europe. This is "The City of the Sea", "The City of the Explorers", once home to the world's greatest explorers like Vasco da Gama, Magellan and Prince Henry the Navigator. Lisbon is also the first true world city, the capital of an empire spreading over all continents, from South America (Brazil) to Asia (Macao, China; Goa, India).
The people are charming, the food is some of the best in Europe, and the combination of old cobbled streets with a modern vibe make it a delightful experience for any visitor. Rich in history, architecture, culture, and entertainment, this historical capital will surely captivate you. Enjoy strolling on the black and white mosaic cobblestone sidewalks, large boulevards and quaint alleyways. Visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites (Mosteiro dos Jerónimos and Torre de Belém) and the Moorish São Jorge Castle. Enjoy a typically Portuguese fado show in one of Alfama's Fado Houses.
With this deal, you will also get to know the amazing central region, known for being chock full of Portugal's storied heritage and history. As you travel across the center of Portugal, you will have the opportunity to visit the beautiful cities of Aveiro and Coimbra.
Situated between the sea and the ria (estuary) and crisscrossed by a network of channels, it is no wonder that Aveiro is often referred to as "The Venice of Portugal". Visitors can cruise the water-filled landscape of Aveiro aboard moliceiros (these slim, colorful boats used to be used by locals to collect algae and seaweed), or hop on a "BUGA" bicycle to cruise the flat streets of the city. Marvel at the beautiful Art Nouveau architecture that marks the city along the main channel. Visit Aveiro's many museums dedicated to its history, art, and architecture.
Next, head to Coimbra to visit Portugal's "City of Students". Founded in the 13th century, the University of Coimbra is the oldest in Portugal and one of the oldest in Europe and is now classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its rich history and beautiful architecture. Visitors can climb the University Tower to hear the bells toll the start and end of classes and appreciate the stunning 360º views of the city below, and stroll the grounds of the university which used to house the palace where the first Kings of Portugal lived when they made Coimbra the first capital of the kingdom. Explore the historic cafes in the city center, take a boat trip along the River Mondego, marvel at the Romanesque style of the local monuments, and visit the city's many beautiful gardens, each with their own unique history and style.