The Azores | Wine & Gin O'Clock
The experience of a lifetime awaits on the biggest island of the Azores archipelago! It's Gin & Tonic time!
Why we love this deal:
- Included in this deal is a Gin Masterclass: Your tasting takes you through gins created or inspired by the Azores as you learn about the rich history of gin and its modern renaissance. You will try 3 gin and tonics with selected tonics and garnishes matched for each. Light snacks will also be served during the tasting.
- Also included is a Ponta Delgada Food & Wine Tour: In this 3h evening walking tour, you will experience some of Ponta Delgada’s best eateries to sample Azorean wines and other alcoholic beverages paired with delicious foods. Through sips and tales, this tour explores the local traditions and drinking culture: from the historical Pico wines to locally produced beer, introducing great dining locations, funny stories, and much more.
- Breakfast may be included during your stay, depending on the selected accommodation.
We recommend booking airport transfers or reserving a rental car (both available during the booking process).
Suggestion for the day:
- Take the day to stroll around Ponta Delgada’s city streets. Ponta Delgada, the main city, is not only the hub of the island but the capital of the Azores. Ponta Delgada evokes all the charms of Europe with cobbled streets, sidewalk cafes, and a thriving culinary scene. Or book here your Ponta Delgada City Tour.
Not to miss:
- Portas da Cidade
- Louvre Michaelense
- Pineapple Plantations
- Matriz Church
Suggestion for the day:
- Visit Sete Cidades (Lagoa das Sete Cidades, Lagoa de Santiago, Lagoa do Canário and Boca do Inferno Viewpoint) and take this opportunity to visit the neighboring village of Mosteiros - ideal for sunset! Once you’re in the west part of the island you can also indulge in a ocean thermal bath at Ferraria.
- Book here a guided tour around the west part of the island that will have you discovering this and much more in the company of a local guide.
The Azores may be a tiny archipelago in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, but that hasn't stopped it from producing several excellent gins. You will try 3 gin and tonics with selected tonics and garnishes matched for each. Light snacks will also be served during the tasting.
Suggestion for the day:
- Head to the north side of the island to visit the Protected Natural Reserve of Lagoa do Fogo and take this chance to visit (and maybe bathe) in the thermal pools of Caldeira Velha. Once you’re here you can also visit the Salto do Cabrito waterfall! On your way to Furnas, we recommend that you stop at Porto Formoso and Gorreana Tea Plantations (the only ones in Europe). In Furnas there’s just so much to explore, such as the lake, the Pico do Ferro Viewpoint, the Grená Park, the caldeiras, the fumaroles, the Terra Nostra Park, the Dona Beija hot springs and so much more. Make sure to try out the local delicacies: the cozido das Furnas and the bolos lêvedos!
- Book a Furnas guided tour here.
You’ll be introduced to several delicious Azorean cheeses and wines, produced in different islands, and representative of the variety and quality of local cheese and wine making traditions.
- With more than 40 varieties of award-winning cheeses and centuries of wine making experience, the Azores are an unknown gem for cheese and wine lovers! The delicious foods and wines, along with the relaxed vibe and unique location, make this a really memorable experience.
*itinerary presented is a suggestion and the length of stay may vary. All tours are suggestions unless specifically stated.
About the Destination:
Often referred to as Europe's “Best Kept Secret”, the Azores have become an increasingly popular destination with year-round appeal for travelers. Just five hours from Toronto, the Azores are now easier to access and explore than ever before. São Miguel Island is a beautiful green jewel in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. With stunning lush landscapes, exotic plants, dormant volcanoes, hot springs, and surrounded by clean waters, São Miguel is the perfect vacation destination for adventure seekers and those looking for an off-the-beaten-path European destination.
Fans of adventure sports will enjoy kayaking and stand-up paddle-boarding in the beautiful lakes or ocean, surfing the Atlantic waves, or canyoning down the gorgeous waterfalls around the island. Go hiking and explore the island's wonders on foot with the mighty Atlantic as the background. Discover hidden beaches and marvel at the many waterfalls around the island. If this isn't tantalizing enough, think about seeing Earth breathing through fumaroles and mud pots, and then enjoying a relaxing evening soak in a natural hot spring while gazing at the stars.
Enjoy the island's quaint fishing villages, seaside restaurants, and delicious seafood. Taste a superb meal cooked underground, known as cozido, and sample the locally grown sweet pineapple. There are numerous vacation activities to be enjoyed on the island, so take advantage of this great vacation package and come have an amazing adventure!
Check out our Azores Travel Guide for more information and tips.